Ntra. Sra. del Pilar and San Miguel Tower corresponds to the “cheese-making” type, named for its round shape and whose main function was to protect small beaches from pirate attacks, which were very common at the time. To do this, it had a simple artillery team.
The structure, made with stone extracted from a quarry near the hermitage of El Cotillo dates from the middle of the seventeenth century and has been declared a Historic Monument of Cultural Interest since 1949.